The Jay Doherty Podcast
Friday, July 5, 2019
Today on the podcast, I discuss Trump’s Independence Day celebration … it’s going to be unique to say the least. Additionally, the 2020 race continues… candidates are racking up money like Buttigieg, and almost going broke like Hickenlooper. Also, the streaming business has diversified incredibly just within the past few months… but that comes at a cost for many Netflix and Hulu subscribers. Finally, we talk about how all of the controversy over the Southern Border, the 2020 race, and all other newsworthy content has affected the media’s coverage.
On The Show Today…
Trump’s Independence Day Parade
- Air Force One flying over
- Concern with tanks being in use; can roads support them?
- CNN’s Jake Tapper asks Pete Buttigieg if he is the “elite candidate” after raising $24.8 million weeks after announcing his candidacy
- Joe Biden has raised $21.5 million, Bernie Sanders has raised $18 million
- Recent polling suggests Biden leading, then Harris, Warren, Sanders, Buttigieg.
- Does fundraising or polling matter?
- Buttigieg is not the elite candidate? He is the opposite! He has common sense!
- Shows streamed but not made by Netflix and other streaming giants are being pulled left and right
- Cable companies like NBC, ABC, CBS, and others have tried to jump on this
- CBS has created CBS All Access but has very little incentive for people to join
- Streaming companies like Netflix and Hulu have the right to be scared because popular shows like “The Office” are being pulled as NBC is giving incentive to join their new service
- The Office ran for nine seasons on NBC from 2005 to 2013; there are 201 episodes available to stream until 2021.
- Companies like Apple have made this move as well as they seem to be increasingly desperate for money, and want to diversify their services into more of a digital platform.
- NBC’s streaming service will be free for traditional pay-TV subscribers and about $10 per month for cord cutters.
- The View – Joy Behar and Meghan McCain clash over Southern border (2:56)
Studio Line: 312-625-8492