The Jay Doherty Podcast
Saturday, January 19, 2019
Donald Trump just delivered a statement to the nation regarding the government shutdown and border security, or as he calls it “a humanitarian crisis at the border”.
This is what he proposed:
- Three years of relief for 700,000 DACA recipients, giving them access to work permits, social security numbers and protection from deportation
- A three-year extension of TPS (Temporary Protected Status) for immigrants whose protections are facing expiration
- $800 million in humanitarian aid
- $805 million for drug detection technology
- 2,750 border agents and law enforcement professionals
- 75 new immigration judge teams to reduce the backlog of court cases
He calls it a “common sense compromise.”
That’s what he said; Pelosi put out a “pre-emptive statement” that instead of all of that, she wants:
- Increased infrastructure investments at our ports of entry including additional ports and roads;
- Advanced technology to scan for drugs, weapons and contraband where the vast majority of drugs come in to our country and advanced technology to detect unauthorized crossings;
- More customs personnel including filling the more than 3,000 customs and border patrol vacancies; and
- More immigration judges.
Also, a source tells me that Pelosi said that Trump’s proposals were a “non-starter”.
Live updates on Twitter