The Jay Doherty Podcast Episode 17
Here are five (fairly simple) ways to earn money from your podcast, even if you have just a weekly show just like myself.
When you’re starting out, advertising and sponsorships are hard to obtain. You don’t have a ton of listeners and you don’t have a proven record, so advertisers are not going to want to work with you.
The 10 methods I discuss with you in the podcast can be implemented right away. Some are easier to setup than others, and while all may not apply to you or the type of podcast you have, all are monetization models that you should learn about so that you can begin to consider how you can start to make money from the hard work you do to produce your show.
I would suggest picking one of these methods to start making money with your podcast, and even if you don’t have a ton of listeners, you can make this work.
Here are the tips:
- Affiliate Marketing and Products
- These can be physical products that you promote or just monthly subscription based services.
- Companies like Amazon, Best Buy, and so many other SMALL companies which will most likely pay more.
- Online Courses
- As you may know, I have a couple of online courses, one that happens to be coming up very soon, details for my podcast listeners near the end of the episode
- When you are creating your podcast, you are promoting yourself and your personal brand meaning you want to promote the products you create as well.
- Online courses are a great way to generate income if you charge for them. All of my online courses are free as of now, however if you do feel confident in the value you are offering, be sure to charge, but start small and don’t get cocky.
- If people legitimately like your shows, they will consider donating. But, do NOT be abrasive in asking them for a donation
- The way to do this is to construct a page that tells them about what their donation may be going to and how it will help improve the show, or podcast you’re creating
- Here’s an example of my crowdfunding page at jay-doherty.com/support
- While all of our content is 100% free, we’d like to keep it that way and intend on doing so even with no donation. Donating or financially supporting the show is not, has not, and will never be forced upon you. However, a couple of people have asked me the question: “Do you do crowdfunding?” And, until now, the answer was no.
- Again, this is 100% optional but even 1 cent would help us out incredibly! Please fill out this short form with your name and email address and we’ll be in touch with a potential future donation. Thanks so much for your interest.
- Live streaming
- Interaction is one of the many keys to success, especially in media production and live shows are amazing because you can interact with your audience in a chat room and even take LIVE DONATIONS!
- I’ve taken live streaming to a whole new level, where I have what is effectively a 24/7 live radio which is available at jay-doherty.com/live
- JD Merch coming soon
- Logo of your podcast
- Maybe you have a podcast about, photography, you can easily sell a bundle of your gear by building an affiliate relationship with your company and then profiting off of the bundle you sell
- It’s a win-win because the affiliate company is making money off of you, the bundle is generating profit for you
Finally, my YouTube course!
Check out the sales page for the free course at jay-doherty.com/youtubecourse
This episode of The Jay Doherty Podcast was affiliated with Blubrry. Click here to learn more OR use promo code JAYDOHERTY at checkout for one month free. Here are some of the awesome features you can get with Blubrry!
- Unlimited downloads
- No contracts, cancel anytime
- Optimized for iTunes and podcasting
- Audio, audiobook, video, ePub and PDF supported
- Media hosted on our top-tier content delivery network (CDN) with more than 35 data centers throughout the world to provide the lowest latency (response time in seconds) possible
- Upload using HTML5 technology, no special uploading tools or software required
- Automated ID3 tagging (both artwork and textual metadata written to your mp3s)
- Episodes hosted until you cancel service
- Media validation (make sure your media will play on all podcast platforms)
- Premium Podcast Statistics included ($5-a-month value)
- Free technical support by email
- FTP access is available upon request
- American owned-and-operated in the United States, our primary business is for podcasting!
The Jay Doherty Podcast LIVE
Now, all of The Jay Doherty Podcast Episodes will be broadcasted live both on my YouTube channel and also on my website. All live streams will take place on Friday at 6:30 PM and Saturday at 2:00 PM. Schedule subject to change. Sign up for my newsletter for alerts.
Adobe Audition For Podcasters Online Course
FREE – Sign up now!
Affiliate Link – Click here
Sign up for my newsletter and listen to TJDP Episode 12 to EXCLUSIVE PERKS!
Email Marketing 3 Day Online Course
FREE – Sign up now!
Affiliate Link – Click Here
High-quality YouTube Channel Online Course
FREE – Sign up now!
Affiliate link – Click here
All of my online courses
I have a growing list of video tutorials that I have created based upon the the top things my clients have hired me to help them with. See the full list of tutorials by clicking here.
I Appreciate Your iTunes Reviews!
If you have ever looked into the algorithm iTunes uses to filter popular podcasts, then you know just how valuable leaving a 5 star rating and/or a written review can be to a content producer.
I am so incredibly thankful to those who have recently gone into my listing in iTunes to provide a five star rating and a written review of The Jay Doherty Podcast.
I Appreciate Feedback
Leave feedback about me and my show by clicking here.
Click here to get our weekly newsletter: https://jay-doherty.com/newsletter/
Click here to request a shoutout: https://jay-doherty.com/shoutout/